About David Chism
David Chism started “A David Creation” out of a passion to help small businesses grow, be more profitable and become better known to their target clients. David’s background is rooted in small business. Together, his father and uncle ran a high quality painting business in San Diego, Chism Brothers Painting. David worked closely with his father in this company.
You can trust that David understands the varied needs of small business because he worked for over a decade in that environment. During this time, David developed skills in the areas of: personnel interviewing/ hiring, production management of crews, estimating, training salesmen, developing marketing budgets and programs, and leveraging technology to help the business.
Some of David’s successes in the small business and construction world include:
- David helped Chism Brothers Painting become one of the most well-known and profitable painting companies in all of San Diego.
- His sales and marketing skills helped produce a net profit of 11% and a gross profit of 59% in one year.
- He contributed to business growth of over 50% and helped continually grow profit margins.
- He helped a Christmas Decor lighting franchise grow their new customer base by 40% in 1 Christmas season.
- In his 2nd year with the same Christmas Decor franchise, he cut the marketing dollars from $10,000 in 2008 to under $1,000 in 2009 and produced more sales: using Social Media.
- Continually refreshing and growing multiple websites that supported lead generation and marketing.
- Successfully developed the branding materials and marketing communications for dozens of successful small businesses.
- Created numerous marketing ideas that have been borrowed, copied (best form of flattery) or modified by contractors nationwide.
- Helped small and medium size contracting companies be consistent with their marketing plan and have a steady flow of quality leads using relationship, traditional and online marketing.
- Developed a successful branding and radio campaign on National Public Radio.
David is not just about making a business stand out amongst the crowd and getting more leads, he wants you to make good money in what you do! David is a great coach and support in helping you meet your business goals more efficiently and effectively.
Being involved in the local community and industry forums are important to David. He has been active in an executive training group, Vistage, has been a board member for the San Diego Chapter of the National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI), and has been active on several committees of the Painting and Decorating Contractors of America (PDCA). David served 3 years as a board member of the Residential Forum of the PDCA, handling their website and marketing.
Lastly, you will find that David is trained in Interior Design, Graphic Design, Professional Selling (Sandler & Dale Carnegie), Public Speaking (Toastmasters), Social Media Marketing and is a constant learner in the area of the internet and business marketing.
Contact David today and learn how his passion for growing small businesses can work for you.
Meet the Team
Kirstie Howard, Marketing Assistant
David’s Commentary: I met Kirstie while courting her sister, Joli (now my wife). I lived in San Diego and Kirstie in Maryland. Though only 10 years old at the time, she was the chief technology person at her home. She gathered her family around the computer and managed the AOL Instant Messenger (pre-Skype days) chats. I have always been impressed at how organized and detailed Kirstie is. I knew she’d make the perfect fit for my company. Kirstie is a young woman of many talents.
She is bright, techie, friendly and has excellent computer skills. When she considered jobs after graduating from high school, I begged her to come work for me. The trick was giving her a smartphone and Mac computer (works every time)! So, while she pursues classes at college, I get to utilize her talents as my marketing assistant. She helps me manage projects, write and post blogs, do market research and a hundred other things to free up my time to manage and consult.
Joel Poortenga, Copy Writer
A thoughtful communicator and a skilled writer, Joel uses passion for language in a variety of settings. He has taught literature and Spanish at four different high schools, as well as free English as a Second Language classes for adults. Additionally, Joel’s penchant for words is poured into a variety of outlets, including website text, marketing literature and blogs.
Joel’s writing has won prizes in poetry and essay competitions and been presented in a variety of college conferences. His work can currently be viewed on a number of contractor’s websites and blogs. He is dedicated to his work and his craft, and enjoys challenging projects.
More important than his goals in writing and teaching, Joel seeks to be an excellent husband and devoted father. He and his family live in Mill Spring, NC, and spend their time together reading, gardening, walking, and generally seeking to experience life richly together.
“A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver.” – Proverbs 25:11 ESV
Member of the PDCA
Member of Summit Services