If you have not started a Facebook Fan page yet, get going! Don’t wait. Before I give you a few tips on how to get started, let me tell you what NOT to do on Facebook. Do not use Facebook as a means to SELL SELL SELL. Facebook is a Social Networking tool. A business page is called a “fan page,” and it is just that: people who like your content and company will become fans! They will “de-fan” you if you try to sell them stuff. Use it as a tool to connect, share and get feedback. I like to look at Facebook the same way I meet someone in person. Just start a normal conversation and try to keep it going in a conversational way! It is really pretty easy if you have good people skills. The only time you can sell is when you have VERY loyal fans, but even then, you can’t promote too much. For example, lets say you have built 200+ fans that seem to like your post and even comment regularly. Now it is the winter months and work has slowed down. You can very cautiously post that a few of your painters, carpenters and/or employees need work. If you have raving fans, they will help you out!
So, here are a few tips to get started:
- Create your business page here (Make sure it is not a group but a “page”) A Group can be important but that is for another blog
- Create your Custom Company URL (mine is: www.facebook.com/aDavidCreation) (This can be confusing. If you get stuck, send me an email…I’ll walk you through it)
- One the page is complete, fill in your company information, website information, Twitter and Blog RSS
- Create a custom profile image to use for your company fan page (any length but no wider than 200 pixels) View My Sample
- Make sure your Facebook page is posted everywhere: Linkedin, Twitter, Blogs, Website, Email Signature, etc.
- Tell your friends and customers to join the fun on Facebook. Tell them in a non-sales way! Just ask them to join and they will! If they need a little help, send them a link.
- Then start posting remarkable content and respond to anyone who comments on your site. If you don’t have remarkable and fun things to say, don’t use Facebook. If you get stuck, hire a professional Social Media writer or expert.