How To Setup Google Apps Account on iPad

IMPORTANT UPDATE SPRING 2013

As of January 31, 2013, Google, not Apple, decided to stop supporting Exchange ActiveSync on iOS devices. Before this date, it was a piece of cake to setup one’s email, calendar and contacts with a two-way sync between Google Apps and one’s iPhone or iPad. The steps in this 2010 blog showed the OLD WAY. All that has changed. It is still rather easy setting up your device, but requires a manual setup and multiple steps.

View my 2013 Blog Post on the “new way” to setup your Google Apps account. I wish the old way still worked.

OLD POST

I was asked by a client recently how he could get his calendar, contacts and email on his new iPad easily. He was not sure it can be done. Well, he was in luck. There is an easy way to get all three items in sync in 5 minutes or less. Once it is setup, you just have to be connected to an Internet source. My client just purchased the new 3G iPad, and within a few minutes, he had all of his information in real time. He is using the iPad as his main “mobile office.”

To get your mobile office running on your iPad, I strongly suggest using the following programs: Google Apps and Dropbox. If you are using Microsoft Outlook and want to continue using MS Outlook, you need to sign up for Google Apps Premier, which is $50 a user per year.

Step by Step Setup Step 1. Open Settings App
Step 2. Open “Mail, Contacts and Calendars
Step 3. Create a New Account– Under the Accounts Heading, Tap “Add Account”- Touch the first “Microsoft Exchange” logo
Step 4. Fill out Account InformationEmail: Google Apps email account: yourname@yourcompanydomain.comDomain: leave blank

Username: same as above “email” for Google Apps Account

Password: Google Apps Password

Description: Whatever you’d like. I suggest, “Company Email” or “Google Apps Account”

Then Click “Next”

Step 5. “Certificates and Verify Account”You will receive a few pop ups to verify your account. Just tap accept, continue and/or next when prompted. Bottomline: don’t tap “cancel”
Step 6. Add “Server” info– After you tap accept, you will see the previous screen appear with a new tab called “Server”- Type in “m.google.com” and tap the blue next button
Step 7. Turn ON Mail, Contacts and Calendar– By default, the mail will be “ON” and the Contacts and Calendar will be on “OFF” mode- Turn ON the Contacts and Calendars.

– If you already have contacts on you iPad, You will be prompted with a pop up screen that will ask you if you wish to keep or delete your iPad contacts. To avoid duplicates, I’d recommend making sure that your Google Contacts are up to date and you remove all iPad contacts. Google should be the default.
Tap Save…and you are done!

If you are not currently using Google Apps for your business or Dropbox and don’t know if that is a good move, email me with your questions.

About David Chism

David Chism started his business out of a passion for helping small contracting businesses grow, be more profitable and become better known to their target clients. One lifelong hobby of David is using techie gadgets. So this blog is a place where he writes about technology, marketing ideas, just for fun (humor), personal thoughts on small business and more.

45 Comments

• Juan says:

Excellent. I tried using the Gmail alternative instead of Exchange and didn’t work. Thanks!

@Juan

Not sure I’m following you. Did my suggestions in this blog work? I’ve tried it a ton of times and it always works. When you say Gmail alternative, what do you mean?

• Chase says:

Hello I’ve read through the comments of the other people and I’m having an issue a thing keeps popping up saying incorrect sync password…. Shoot me back… Getting frusterated

• Qasim says:

Thanks bro.

Really helpful

• kevin says:

Great Job. Very concise and clear.

I think what the above poster meant is that instead of choosing Exchange when adding an account, he chose Gmail.

• David says:

Kevin: thanks for clarifying! Now that makes sense!

I see you help businesses migrate over to Google Apps. We’ll have to keep in touch. I have a lot of clients on trying to convince to move to the cloud.

• Carline says:

You ROCK! I’ve been trying to figure out how to add my business email to my ipad. I found this and it worked!! yay! Not one link said to ever use Microsoft Exchange! The Apple people didn’t even know how to do it. I’m bookmarking this page!! 🙂

• David says:

Glad it worked. Apple would not know how to set it up. They just create and sell cool products. Thanks for stopping by and the comment. I typically post more on my facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/adavidcreation if you want to “fan” that. Have a good day.

• Mark Rendle says:

Thanks for this, got up and running with no problem.

• David says:

Mark, glad it worked successfully! Thanks for letting me know.

• christine says:

I am trying to help my boss with this. I followed the steps exactly, and the calendar appears with a checkmark next to it in the calendar program, but none of the events are displaying. Do you have any suggestions?

@christine

I may have to talk to you over the phone about this. I can “share my screen” and walk you through the steps that way if you’d like. I need a little more explanation to diagnose the problem. Shoot me an email: david@adavidcreation.com with more specifics and/or to setup a quick call.

Hmm…I wonder… sorry if these sound like silly questions but have to ask:

1) Are you using Google Apps for Business, not Gmail? These steps above won’t work if you are using the standard gmail feature.

2) If you are using Google Apps for Business, and you are an admin, you need to make sure “Mobile Sync” is turned on. That is under the Google Domain Admin (dashboard). You’ll see an icon that says Mobile. Click on it and it will have a button that says, “enable mobile sync” or something like that. If that doesn’t work, the final thing is to make sure Google Sync is setup on the iPad and/or iPhone. I don’t that is the problem…but two things that came to mind. Otherwise…it could take a little while 10-15 mins sometimes for calendars to appear.

• charlie says:

When I try, and I click next after the first step. it verifies and then gives me the word “Exchange” in the title bar with both next and cancel grayed out. I can only cancel.

Sync is enabled on the domain and on the ipad… If I get it I will reply – if you know what is is, please let me know.

• charlie says:

interesting – if I wipe out my ipad and restore it from a time prior to this procedure, I get it to work to the certification step – I can look at the details in the warning and see my domain info. If I proceed, it acts exactly as it did before – just refuses.

Apparently, the connection is being refused, but I do not know why yet.

@charlie

Charlie: I’m not sure why you are having this problem. I’ve completed the same steps a bunch of times for a number of companies…in the end it always works. The only time I’ve had a problem is where there is something sort of setup… you have to completely delete the account, and redo it. It sounds like you did that. Or you at least restored the ipad. Have you tried deleting any calendars/accounts completely then starting over?

Any warning pop ups…I would not worry about either…just keep moving forward. So to clarify, MOBILE Sync is on…the Google Apps domain, right? You are also using Google Apps for business, not Google Personal, right? If all this is correct… try to completely delete the account and follow my steps. It should work. If not…that is very strange.

• chai says:

Thanks David!! Finally I was able to set-up my business gmail on iPAD but the issue is its not accepting my password (keep getting a message incorrect password 🙁 )

• David says:

Interesting. I’ve had that happen.

1. Either fully delete account on iPad and setup again

2. Or check with Google Apps to make sure password is correct and that Google Sync is turned on in Admin settings.

Let me know if that works

• Jen says:

My company uses the calendars with google apps. I’ve got it to push through to android os but I can’t get it to work for the iPad. It tells me password is incorrect. What am I doing wrong

@Jen

Jen:

I’ve seen that happen before. If you followed the steps above carefully and still have a problem. Sometimes you need to turn off your device and then see if that solves the problem. Otherwise, another thing that has worked before is completely deleting any setting you’ve had. In other words, deleting the calendar etc. Then doing a clean setup for Google Apps. That should work just fine. Let me know.

• Very helpful indeed – worked for me – thanks!

• dan m says:

thanks a million!

I’ve been been trying to set my google apps mail for over a month !

with this guide it took 5 minutes

• Jason says:

Excellent Help!

I combined steps 4 and 6 adding m.google.com without any pop ups and it worked. Maybe this is a recent change.

Again thanks for the post. Had my mail in less than 3 minutes on my phone!

• David says:

Hey Jason. I think you are right about the recent change. I wrote this 2 + years ago. But it is close!

The next thing I need to show you is how to hide/show multiple google calendars on the iPhone. Stay tuned for another blog post.

• Andree Huffine says:

I am confused. I use google apps gmail, calendar and contact. I am making the change from android, which was very google friendly. Apple not so much? is there a way i can have these synched with my other devices? I’m sole proprieter – don’t have a business google account. Do these instructions work for that? I downloaded the gmail app, but can’t find google calendar ap so i assume i need the sync app to do that.

• David says:

Yes. My instructions should work for what you are trying to do. The google app you downloaded is nice, but it doesn’t sync your calendar. Try following my steps. Also google did update s few things the past week or two. So if it doesn’t work, let me know. Might be something else you have to do.

• Tim says:

Not working for me. In the setup instructions you failed to tell what to ut in the required server exchange box. I use a google account,but I don t know what their server info is

• David says:

This step by step is for a google apps for business account. Is this for personal or business?

Server should be m.google.com

Also google is changing things around. So I’ve had some problems this month with setting this up. Is is a google bug. It has worked for 2 years until this month. Hope it clears up soon.

• Hans says:

Hi I am currently using a google apps mail account with my company’s name as the domain. I followed all your steps and it seemed to work until I actually opened the mail account. It constantly asks for my password and I have tried at least ten times but it simply won’t accept it. I am positive there is nothing wrong with the mail username or password. I hope you know what is wrong. If it helps, I am working in France, which means I use a French account that ends with .fr . Maybe it’s a different server?

• David says:

Hans, that is what it sounds like to me. But I’ve not tried these settings abroad. I have helped a few guys in Europe, and it has worked.

I’ve had that same problem a few times. Have you tried turning off your phone completely. Wait a few seconds and turn it off? Or hit airplane mode can work. That is like a soft reset.

If that doesn’t work, not sure. I’d try removing the account, shutting phone off, turning back and and reconfiguring. I’ve had the same problem and doing this a few times normally works in the U.S.

Also make sure the company has turned in Mobile access. That also could be a cause. Final option is to go to your browser and type in Google Sync for iPad or iPhone. Should bring you to a mobile version, and there are a few steps in there to try. But my comments above I hope will help.

Let me know.

• […] this blog and wondered what the old way was prior to January of this year, my 2010 article called How To Setup Google Apps on Your iPad is here. As long as you do not have to reset your iPad or IOS device, the old way works. When you […]

• Ted says:

I’ve got the same issue with iPad and google apps. I’m on a grandfathered free apps account. Works great on iPhone but no go on iPad. Tried everything I can think of. Depending on which way I try to configure it either it says incorrect password or connection to server failed. Driving me nuts. A quick search says I’m not the only one but there is no definitive fix. I’m blaming Apple!

• David Chism says:

Ted, sorry you are having problems.

Here is an updated article I wrote last month. There is not much that can be done if your iPad is new. As long as you keep your iphone…it will be fine. However, any new device will not work on Google Apps and Exchange. It is Google’s fault, not Apple. Google stopped supporting MS Exchange feature on iOS January 31, 2013. What a bummer. This is a real stinker.

See if some of these ways help…not perfect…but a little work around:

• Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you
    penning this write-up and also the rest of the website is very good.

• show box says:

Showbox for Android free download. Steps to install Showbox App APK file in Android phones.
    Download Showbox.apk file for free to use it

• Showbox app also gives you free vouchers and saves your money.
    You can also earn showbox points by downloading this application and you can redeem gifts by these earned points.

• ShowBox says:

Showbox app for android is not available on Google play store or any other Android app market therefore android users will need to sideload it

• Thus, when the enemy come in and destroy the place, you’ll be starting from
    scratch again with a dingy, desolate city limited in its scope.
    We learned that a beta release planned, but as an exact
    release date for the game is not determined, it is also uncertain when the beta will run started.
    In Dragonica, player is deeply impressed from the beginning by the outstanding graphics, a full 3D world design, populated with enjoyable charmish and
    stylish cartoon characters (even the monsters).

• Quite a few years back it absolutely was nearly
    impossible to find the game that might be compared to the leader of MMORPG games World of Warcraft,
    but recently everything has progressed and we are offered
    with the high selection of superior quality games. s official Token system as announced this week on the game.
    But how does the modern look match up to the gameplay concepts and playability.

• We’ve added optional hidden zones, optional quests that unlock new spells and items which enable new combinations in combat, and even monsters
    you might never encounter depending on the choices
    you make. By not at least providing opportunities for ample PVP, even the PVE people start to leave.
    Ao – C has timing in its favor: with WOW treading water until its next
    expansion and while Wo – W: Wrath of the Lich King is delayed, there are a few months of opportunity for Ao – C to capture an eager
    audience and make them its own.